Merrilees Parker, a wonderful cook from the UK, made something similar to this when I appeared with her on the television show Great Food Live. I like to serve this after a winter dinner party. It is nicely luxurious—a little like Irish coffee, only without the coffee!–Rachel Allen
LC Liquid Lullaby Note
Not only does this innocuous little libation sorta have a suave sophisticate thing going on, it’s ridiculously simple to make. Essentially just warm booze, sugar, and cream, the sweet and soothing bedtime nip is less complicated than even a hot toddy to make and, what’s more, requires no sore throat—real or feigned. It’s certain to garner compliments and kudos galore, and because it calls for essentially equal parts booze and simple syrup, it’s facile on the faculties should you wish to fix a few more.
Little Hot After-Dinner Shots Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Serves 8
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) brandy or whiskey
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) Simple Syrup
- 8 tablespoons whipped cream
- 1. Pour the brandy or whiskey and syrup into a saucepan and heat very gently over low heat. Do not boil.
- 2. Divide the booze among 8 little cordial or shot glasses. Dip a spoon into very hot water and use it to gently scoop a dollop of the cream into each glass, carefully allowing the cream to slide off the spoon and float atop the sweet libation. (The cream should float.) Serve immediately.
Thirsty for more? Sip on these:
Little Hot After-Dinner Shots Recipe © 2013 Rachel Allen. Photo © 2006 Peter Cassidy. All rights reserved.