I first saw these gorgeous little morsels in the dazzling sunshine of a Caribbean afternoon on the island of Tortola. I had been invited to sail across to another island for dinner, and the owners of the boat, a spirited couple, both in their seventies, had made snacks to sustain us until later. Well, I’m a fool for anything rolled in coconut, and the rather retro combination of chicken, curry, walnuts, and cream cheese totally ruined my dinner. In my excitement — they’re awfully good — I ate about twelve, and what with all the bobbing up and down on the water, I started to feel quite queasy. So just eat these in moderation on dry land, and you’ll be very happy. An icy Alsace wine like Hugel Gewürtztraminer (2001) would be a perfect accessory.–Serena Bass
Curried Chicken Rolled in Toasted Coconut Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 2 H, 30 M
- Makes 30 bite-size pieces
- 2 cups homemade or canned chicken stock
- One 8-ounce boneless chicken breast, pounded lightly at the thick end
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise or Hellmann’s mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped medium-fine
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut, toasted on a baking sheet at 350°F (175°C) for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden
- 1. Put the stock and chicken breast in a small saucepan over low heat. Cover, bring to a simmer, then cook for 8 minutes. Set aside until completely cooled. This could be done the day before.
- 2. Remove the chicken from the stock (saving the liquid for a soup) and chop medium-fine. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese with the mayonnaise until smooth. Add the chicken, onion, curry powder, walnuts, and salt; mix together gently. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple of hours — it’s much easier to roll when cold.
- 3. Dampen your hands and lightly roll the mixture into 3/4-inch balls. Press on a coating of toasted coconut and, if you can, serve this hors d’oeuvre within an hour so the coconut will stay crunchy.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Testers ChoiceTesters Choice
Apr 16, 2004
Walnuts, curry, and creamy chicken are a great combo. I made the mixture one night and rolled the balls in the coconut the next night.
Apr 16, 2004
The sweetness of the coconut and the spice curry complement each other perfectly. The only thing I would add to the recipe is a little ground black pepper.
Curried Chicken Rolled in Toasted Coconut Recipe © 2004 Serena Bass. Photo © 2004 David Loftus. All rights reserved.