Sweetened with golden raisins and perfumed with rose petals, this creamy dip is served with flatbread or rice or lamb on the tables of Iranian families.–James Oseland
LC Mast-O-What? Note
Mast-o-khiar. It’s Persian for cucumber and yogurt, and yes, it’s what you get here. But that’s an overly simplistic summary of this traditional Middle Eastern dip. True, mast-o-khiar is not unlike Greek tzatziki, though this traditional rendition ups the ante with rose petal leaves, if you please. And yes, Greek yogurt works well in this recipe. A smattering of chopped toasted walnuts would also do well here, should you be the type who likes to juxtapose a little crunch with velvety creaminess. We even know those who’ve forgone the sweet golden raisins for tart cranberries, though again, that’s up to you. As for how to dispatch this dip, that’s entirely at your discretion.
Yogurt and Cucumber Dip Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 20 M
- Makes 2 cups
- 10 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 18 ounces plain yogurt, preferably full-fat
- 1 tablespoon dried mint or 3 tablespoons fresh, finely chopped mint
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and minced
- Dried rose petals, for garnish (optional)
- 1. Place the raisins in a small bowl and add enough warm water to cover. Set aside until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 2. On a cutting board, sprinkle the minced garlic with kosher salt. Using the side of a knife, mash the garlic into a paste. Transfer it to a bowl.
- 3. Drain the raisins and stir almost all of them into the bowl of garlic along with the yogurt, mint, and cucumber. Garnish with the remaining raisins and the rose petals, if using.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dressing with a Quinoa Salad from Food For My Family
- Wild Salmon with Minty Yogurt Sauce from Family Fresh Cooking
- Rhubarb and Pistachios over Thick Yogurt from Leite's Culinaria
- Merguez Meatballs with Yogurt Sauce from Leite's Culinaria
Yogurt and Cucumber Dip Recipe © 2012 James Oseland. Photo © 2012 Saveur. All rights reserved.