Kale gets really sweet and delicious when it’s been exposed to frost; therefore, winter kale such as lacinato (also known as “dinosaur kale”) is ideal to use in a raw salad. Be sure to cut out the spine from the leafy part, as the spine can be too tough to chew. Beets and sweet potatoes are a fantastic combo that roasts beautifully, although this salad is a great opportunity for you to roast whatever vegetables you have on hand—regular potatoes, winter squash, even carrots would be lovely.–Ann Gentry
LC We Got A Confession To Make Note
We got a confession to make. This really quite lovely fall salad recipe, which just happens to be vegan, originally called for mustard-glazed tempeh. With all due respect to Ann Gentry, the creator of this recipe, we found that it tasted sorta complete to us, even without the tempeh, given its stunning array of colors and tastes and textures. Although if tempeh floats your boat, by all means, do your thing.
Kale Salad Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H, 10 M
- Serves 4
- For the roasted vegetables
- 2 medium (about 1 pound) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 medium (about 14 ounces) red beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the dressing
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the salad
- 1 bunch (about 10 ounces) lacinato kale, stems removed and leaves cut into 1/8-inch strips (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 3 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- Handful Spicy-Sweet Roasted Almonds or raw almonds
- Make the roasted vegetables
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- 2. Toss the sweet potatoes and beets in a large bowl with the oil, garlic, salt, and pepper to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and roast, tossing after the first 20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender and browned, about 40 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Make the dressing
- 3. Whisk the orange juice, tahini, vinegar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and saffron, if using, in a bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the salad
- 4. Toss the kale, spinach, and the cucumber and bell pepper, if using, in a large bowl with enough of the dressing to coat. Add the roasted sweet potatoes and beets and toss again, adding more dressing if necessary. Transfer the salad to a platter. Garnish with the almonds and serve.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Kale Salad Recipe © 2011 Ann Gentry. Photo © 2011 Sara Remington. All rights reserved.
Hello. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!