This graham cracker crust recipe is essential for S’mores Pie and a perfect counterpoint to the tart, creamy filling of Key Lime Pie. You’re sure to find many uses for this sweet, versatile crust.–Allison Kave
LC Sugar-Free Note
You may notice that this graham cracker crust is sugar free. Well, that is, it’s devoid of added sugar. There is, of course, some sugar in the crackers. But the recipe itself calls for no granulated sugar. It’s just not needed, seeing as most pie fillings are amply sweet. If you’re thinking that this is wrong and that you’re accustomed to adding a smidgen of sweetness to the graham cracker crust recipes of your childhood, just humor us this once. Then let us know how it goes in a comment below.
Graham Cracker Crust Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 35 M
- Makes one 9-inch pie crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 5 to 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. Crumble the graham crackers into the work bowl of a food processor and process until finely ground. (Alternatively, you can toss the graham crackers in a resealable plastic bag and whack them with a rolling pin until they’re finely crushed.)
- 3. Dribble 5 tablespoons butter into the graham cracker crumbs and, using your hands, mix until the butter is fully incorporated and the mixture has the texture of wet sand. It may be necessary to add more melted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, to obtain the desired consistency.
- 4. Firmly press the crumbs against the sides and bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. (The underside of a glass measuring cup works really well for smoothing the bottom of the crust.) Refrigerate the graham cracker crust for at least 15 minutes.
- 5. Bake the graham cracker crust for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let the crust cool completely before filling.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Chocolate Chess Pie with Coconut Graham Cracker Crust from Eat. Drink. Smile.
- Chocolate Graham Cracker Pie Crust from Eat at Home
- Flaky Pie Crust from Leite's Culinaria
- Vinegar Pie Crust from Leite's Culinaria
Testers ChoiceTesters Choice
May 16, 2014
I made the graham cracker crust recipe with graham cracker crumbs and it was a total snap. Since graham cracker crumbs tend to be drier than graham crackers themselves, I used 7 tablespoons butter. I could have gotten away with 6, but I was feeling indulgent. Ten minutes in the oven seems too long, as the edges got quite dark after the go around in the oven with the filling.
May 16, 2014
This graham cracker crust recipe is very good. Under the right circumstances, I could sit down with the crust alone. It's buttery with just the perfect amount of sweetness. It needed just the 5 tablespoons melted butter to hold it together. I baked the crust until it was lightly golden, which took the full 10 minutes. It would be fantastic with many of your favorite fillings.
Graham Cracker Crust Recipe © 2014 Allison Kave. All rights reserved.