I’m as fond as anyone of a simple steak frites dinner. It’s just that sometimes french fries are…well, not exactly what I am looking for, and then I need an alternative. If it’s winter squash season, this butternut squash gratin recipe is one of the best options. Steak pairs really well with roasted squash, and this gratin recipe makes the duo even more satisfying.–Mimi Thorisson
LC Also Good With Turkey Note
Butter. Bread crumbs. Cream. Cheese. Oh yeah, and butternut squash. This, dear reader, is what we like to refer to as stealthy healthy. And as much as we appreciate this butternut squash gratin with steak, we—unlike the author above—prefer it with roast turkey. That’s not to say this butternut squash recipe isn’t swell with beef. Just saying, ’tis the season.
Butternut Squash Gratin Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 50 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 1 large) butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (45 grams) fresh bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup (75 grams) grated Comté cheese
- A few chives, finely chopped (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 10-inch (25-centimeter) baking dish.
- 2. In a large sauté pan or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened and translucent, 4 minutes. Add the butternut squash slices and nutmeg and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Transfer the squash mixture to the baking dish. Smother with the cream, sprinkle with the bread crumbs, scatter with the cheese on top, and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- 4. Bake until the surface is golden and bubbly and the butternut squash is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the chives, if desired.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Butternut Squash Gratin Recipe © 2014 Mimi Thorisson. Photo © 2014 Oddur Thorisson. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!