This thick, sticky butterscotch sauce is slightly different from caramel sauce, as it doesn’t contain any butter, includes corn syrup for chewiness, and has the added boost of booze from Scotch whiskey. Any blended whiskey will do—you don’t need to use your expensive single-malt here. You’ll find this sauce is a miracle on cakes as well as a serious treat poured over vanilla ice cream.–Monica Sweeney
LC Butterscotch Sauce Versus Caramel Sauce Note
What’s that, you say? You want more specifics on the difference between butterscotch and caramel? While recipes vary somewhat, technically most caramel sauce recipes rely on granulated sugar that’s melted to the point of golden brown lusciousness. Sometimes cream or butter or both are stirred into the melted sweetness. Whereas with butterscotch sauce, brown sugar is the basis of the loveliness and is combined with cream—and even, in this recipe, whiskey—to achieve even loftier heights of lusciousness. What’s more, this boozy butterscotch sauce recipe is almost effortless to make. So much so that we consider it the easiest DIY dessert bling ever. You’re welcome.
Butterscotch Sauce Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup (this is the stuff at the store and is different than the nasty high-fructose corn syrup manufacturers use)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons whiskey, preferably Scotch whiskey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Heat the brown sugar, corn syrup, water, salt, and heavy cream in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves and the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the whiskey and vanilla and simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly. Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a few days. (You’ll want to reheat the butterscotch sauce in the microwave in 10-second bursts or in a bowl placed over but not touching simmering water until you reach the desired consistency.)
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Creamy Rice Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce from White on Rice Couple
- Single-Serve Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce from Raspberri Cupcakes
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes with Caramel-Butterscotch Frosting from Leite's Culinaria
- Waffles With Salted Caramel Sauce from Leite's Culinaria
Butterscotch Sauce Recipe © 2014 Monica Sweeney. Photo © 2014 Allan Penn. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!