These are a unique twist on an old favorite created by the runner-up in our 2006 Leite’s Culinaria Recipe Contest, Nancy Elliott. The green-tea powder, or matcha, lends a delicate tea flavor, and the ginger-sugar topping adds an extra layer of crunch. They’re a perfect light dessert and make a lovely holiday gift, tucked inside a festive tin.–Nancy H. Elliott
Ginger Crunch–Green Tea Biscotti Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H, 35 M
- Makes approximately 36 biscotti
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons matcha (green-tea powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup slivered, blanched almonds
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons raw (turbinado) sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly apply cooking spray to baking sheet. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, matcha, and salt. Set aside.
- 3. Using an electric beater or stand mixer, beat the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the flour mixture to the bowl and stir until well combined, and a sticky dough is formed. Stir in almonds.
- 4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 5 or 6 times. Divide into two equal portions. With floured hands, roll each portion into a log approximately 12 inches long, flattening the top slightly. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the logs with the egg white then generously sprinkle with the raw-sugar-and-ginger mixture.
- 5. Transfer the logs to a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned and firm to the touch, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the logs from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 6. Reduce the oven temperature to 275°F (135°C). Transfer the cooled logs to a cutting board and slice them on the diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices using a serrated knife. Lay the cookies cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake again until the biscotti are lightly toasted, about 15 to 20 minutes. Using tongs, turn the cookies over and bake until slightly dry, about 15 to 20 more minutes. Cool the biscotti on wire rack.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Matcha Green Tea Gobs with Lemongrass-Ginger Filling from Cake Spy
- Ginger Green Tea Muffin from Healthy. Happy. Life.
- Matcha Tea Leaf Shortbreads from Leite's Culinaria
- Biscotti & Vin Santo from Leite's Culinaria
Ginger Crunch–Green Tea Biscotti Recipe © Nancy H. Elliott. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!