Desperation dinner. Pantry supper. Babysitter special. Call it what you will, this cavatelli with broccoli recipe is a cinch to toss together, costs next to nothing, and can probably be scrounged from ingredients you already have on hand. Perhaps you should just call it supper.–Renee Schettler Rossi
LC Pantry Supper Note
When you just can’t bring yourself to go to the grocery store, this ridiculously quick, easy, and family-friendly cavatelli with broccoli recipe is what you want. Actually, it’s what you need. You can fancy it up a little however you choose, time and patience and ingredients permitting, whether that mesa dicing up that tomato on the counter and tossing it in at the last minute or taking a moment to chop and sauté some garlic or maybe rip up some fresh basil from the garden.
Cavatelli with Broccoli Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 25 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- 1 batch homemade cavatelli, or 1 pound store-bought cavatelli or similarly shaped pasta such as orecchiette, fusilli, or conchiglie
- 1 3/4 pounds (8 cups or 800 grams) broccoli, separated into small florets
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan, or sprinkling
- 1. Cook the pasta and broccoli in large, separate pots of boiling salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes for dried pasta and about 4 minutes for the broccoli. (Alternatively, you can just use a single pot of boiling water, cooking the pasta and the broccoli sequentially using the same water.) Drain and dump both the pasta and broccoli in a large serving bowl, reserving the water for making vegetable soup.
- 2. Drizzle the pasta and broccoli with oil, season with a pinch salt and plenty of pepper, and toss well. Sprinkle with Parmesan and taste. If necessary, add more salt. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- Cavatelli with Slow Roasted Broccoli and Harissa from Herbivoracious
- Baked Cavatelli with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe from Good Housekeeping
- Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe from Leite's Culinaria
- Cavatelli with Turkey Sausage, Tomato, and Broccoli Rabe from Leite's Culinaria
Cavatelli with Broccoli Recipe © 2015 The Silver Spoon Kitchen. Photo © 2015 Matt Russell. All rights reserved.
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!