[Editor’s Note: Guess who The Splendid Table asked to be a special correspondent? We couldn’t be more pleased or grateful. (And David couldn’t be more nervous wondering if you’ll like it. So go on, give it a listen and tell him what you think…)]
In this week’s episode. I had the pleasure of chatting with the always charming Shauna Sever, aka the Next Door Baker and author of the new book Real Sweet, who explained to me some natural alternatives to conventional refined white sugar—including muscovado sugar, turbinado sugar, honey, and maple syrup—and how to bake with them. (Note to self: You really have to expand your shopping list when it comes to the baking aisle at the supermarket.)
And as if that wasn’t enough, also in this episode of The Splendid Table listen as:
- Journalist and author Barry Estabrook gives us an insider’s peek at the pork industry via his newest book, Pig Tales.
- Jen Stevenson, co-author of the book The Picnic, offers professional help on creating the best picnic ever while keeping the work to a minimum.
- Robyn Lea, author of Dinner with Jackson Pollock, explains how she unearthed painter Jackson Pollock’s recipes.
- Jan and Michael Stern share their thoughts on Honey from the Rock Café in Augusta, Georgia.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
- What's the Difference? Muscovado, Demerara & Turbinado from The Kitchn
- 5 Natural Sugars You Should Have in Your Pantry from Yahoo! News
- The Splendid Table: Fermentation from Leite's Culinaria
- Talking With My Mouth Full Podcast: Cocktails for a Crowd from Leite's Culinaria
Photo © 2015 Thinkstock. All rights reserved.