Remember the ice cream cookie sandwich? It’s as easy and classic a summer treat as ever it was. And it’s still best when made with homemade cookies—preferably the chocolate chip variety.
This ice cream cookie sandwich recipe isn’t actually a recipe. It’s a reminder. You know, of summer and playfulness and the magic of indulging in ice cream for dinner. Consider yourself reminded. So go on. Be a kid again. The hardest part is deciding which cookie and ice cream combo you crave most. Peanut butter cookie and chocolate ice cream. Chocolate cookie and strawberry ice cream. Chocolate chip cookie and good old vanilla. The options are dizzying. Let us know what you decide to make in a comment below.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
- Imagination. Patience.
- Ice cream of your choice
- Your favorite cookies or brownies (that includes blondies and bars, by the way)
- Sprinkles, chocolate shavings, jimmies, chopped nuts, crushed pretzels, finely chopped candy bars, and so forth (optional)
- Here we go. Grab the ice cream of your choice from your freezer. If using cookies, scoop the ice cream onto your favorite cookie. Top with a second cookie.
If using brownies, slice each brownie in half to create a couple skinny brownies. Place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom half of the brownie and sandwich with the top half. Gently press the sandwich together to smoosh the ice cream between the cookies.
- If you wish, roll the edges of each ice cream sandwich in sprinkles or chocolate shavings or jimmies.
- Wrap each ice cream sandwich in plastic wrap and stick ’em in the freezer for at least half an hour. (Yes, we know. Waiting is the hardest part.)
- After half an hour, you can stop fidgeting and take an ice cream sandwich out of the freezer. Unwrap it and eat it right away. Don't forget to do a dance or at least a sigh of appreciation.
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. We’d love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Recipe Testers’ Reviews
Originally published May 24, 2018
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. We'd love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Chewy, gooey-on-the-inside, crisp-at-the-edges chocolate chip cookies sandwiched together with old-fashioned vanilla ice cream. That was my default ice cream cookie sandwich fix as a kid—and, truth be told, well into my 30s. Boring? Shrug. I prefer to think of it as classic. It wasn’t until I experienced the salty yet sweet, tender yet crisp, maniacally yet perfectly jumbled tastes and textures of Momofuku’s Compost Cookies. And, a short time later, Momofuku’s oddly nostalgia-invoking Cereal Milk Ice Cream. These two experiences came separately at first, but not for long. From then on, the past was just that. I’ve been meaning to do an ice cream sandwich with Katharine Hepburn Brownies but haven’t quite gotten around to it. One of these times.