This chocolate zucchini cake is made with flour, sugar, butter, cocoa powder, and a summery abundance of squash. The zucchini makes for marvelously moist cake.
Reason number #456 to love summer? This luxuriously decadent and (marginally) healthful chocolate zucchini cake. Never again will you be wondering what to do with that seasonal abundance of oblong vegetables threatening to overtake your backyard.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Quick Glance
- 45 M
- 1 H, 35 M
- Serves 8 to 12
- For the chocolate zucchini cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini, from about 2 zucchini
- For the ganache
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, at least 60% cocoa, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Make the chocolate zucchini cake
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter a 10-inch (25-centimeter) Bundt pan.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the mixer bowl, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in the zucchini. The batter will be quite thick.
- 4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the ganache
- 5. Place the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Pour the cream into a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let it stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until the ganache is smooth though quite thick.
- Assemble and serve the cake
- 6. Pour the ganache over the cake. Slice the cake into wedges and make a lot of people happy.