Who can resist fried green tomatoes–slices of succulent unripe tomatoes dipped in egg and dredged in cornmeal and then fried to a crisp golden brown? Add some Creole remoulade and, well, no one can resist!
We’ve no idea which fried green tomatoes recipe Kathy Bates relied on in the movie named after these summer lovelies, and it doesn’t matter, because we’re hopelessly partial to this one. The proportions of cornmeal to flour and the ingenious dip of rich egg and tart buttermilk result in something that’s impossibly lovely to convey in words.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Special Equipment: Deep-fry or candy thermometer
Easy Fried Green Tomatoes
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H, 30 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- For the fried green tomatoes
- 3 green tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for drawing the moisture out
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (low-fat or full-fat is fine)
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (preferably finely ground)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Mild vegetable oil, for frying
- For the remoulade (optional)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons store-bought or homemade ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Creole or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning, or more to taste
- A generous amount sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prep the tomatoes
- 1. Slice the tomatoes 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick and lightly salt both sides of each slice. Place in a colander in the sink and set aside for 20 to 30 minutes. The salt will draw some of the moisture out of the tomatoes.
- Make the remoulade (optional)
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, ketchup, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, horseradish, and Creole seasoning. Stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add more Creole seasoning, if desired. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Coat and fry the tomatoes
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk together. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Pour enough oil into a deep skillet or Dutch oven to reach 1/2 to 1 inch deep. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it registers 350°F (177°C) on a deep-fry or candy thermometer.
- 4. Dip the tomatoes in the egg wash, allowing any excess to drip off, and then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture, pressing lightly to coat them. Working in batches, fry the green tomatoes, gently turning them once, until golden brown on the outside and tender but not mushy on the inside, 2 to 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your tomatoes. Drain on a brown paper bag. Serve immediately with the remoulade sauce.