These one pot cocoa brownies are made with flour, cocoa, sugar, and other pantry ingredients. A cakey brownie that’s quick and easy. Kids love ’em.
If you like your brownies cakey in texture, easy to make, and with only a single bowl to clean afterwards, this recipe is for you. And everyone else who feels the same way about the qualities they value in a brownie. Trust us on that. And trust everyone who’s tried these and reported back to us with comments like, “A very moist, somewhat cakey brownie.” “A one-pot wonder!” “Not overly sweet, fudgy, or dense.” “The recipe could not have been easier.” “Perfect in those instances when you don’t have a lot of space, equipment, and time.” “A great recipe that you’ll come back to again and again.” The author of the recipe even boldly proclaimed them a perfect “breakfast brownie.” Sorta makes you want to try them, eh? Originally published August 29, 2015.–Renee Schettler Rossi
One-Pot Cocoa Brownies
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 55 M
- Makes 24 brownies
- 3 sticks unsalted butter (12 oz), plus more for the pan
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Generously butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- 2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar and cocoa powder. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt, mixing until the batter is completely smooth.
- 3. Pour the batter into the baking pan, smoothing the top. Bake until a toothpick or a skewer inserted into the middle of the pan comes out almost clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 4. Let the brownies cool completely in the pan on a rack before cutting them into 24 squares. (The brownies will keep in a tightly sealed container for up to 5 days if you can resist them that long. They can also be frozen.)