This easy guacamole tastes authentic as heck yet embraces a minimalistic philosophy with its quick approach that keeps ingredients to the essentials. Healthy. Quick. And the real deal.
Everyone seems to have an opinion about guacamole. Author Jessica Dupuy believes that when it comes to guacamole, the simpler the better. This is reflected in her easy guacamole recipe below, which tastes perfect and pleases all manner of tortilla chip-dunking guests. It’s healthy, quick, and authentic as can be. We’re not saying this is the only guacamole recipe, nor are we saying it’s the definitive guacamole recipe. We’re simply saying we can imagine someone’s abuela tossing this concoction together and being perfectly satisfied because, thank heavens, it contains no chili powder, no tomatoes, no pomegranate seeds, and no other extraneous ingredients that just don’t belong in guacamole. (Please. This is guacamole. Not a kitchen sink salad.) Originally published May 5, 2016.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Easy Guacamole Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 15 M
- Makes about 3 cups
- 5 medium ripe avocados (just shy of 2 pounds), halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 1 to 2 limes)
- 1/2 cup (165 grams) diced red or white onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- Up to 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves (optional)
- Finely chopped jalapeño (optional)
- 1. Scoop the avocado out of its peel and into a large bowl. Grab a fork and mash until the avocado is still sorta chunky. (At this point, you want the consistency to be a little chunkier than your desired final consistency since there’s still some more stirring to be done.)
- 2. Stir in the lime juice, onion, salt, garlic, and, if desired, cilantro and jalapeño and mix until it’s as chunky or as smooth as you fancy. Serve right away or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 hours to allow the flavors to meld, being careful to press the wrap directly against the entire surface of the guacamole to prevent browning.