This blueberry mascarpone tart screams summer. A sweet pastry crust is filled with a sweetened lemony mascarpone cheese and topped with fresh blueberries.
This blueberry mascarpone tart, despite its sophisticated semblance, is really quite easy to toss together. Lemon gives the ethereally light mascarpone cheese filling a slight lilt and the crisp yet delicate shortbread crust lends the tart just the right amount of substance. Sorry but you’ve no longer got any excuses when someone asks you to bring dessert. Trust us, this recipe is going to make you a legend among loved ones.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Blueberry Mascarpone Tart Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 2 H
- Makes 1 tart
- For the sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (225 g), sifted
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter (4 1/2 oz | 125 g), cold, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar (80 g), sifted
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (10 ml)
- 1 tablespoon ice water (15 ml)
- For the filling and topping
- About 1 3/4 cups mascarpone (396 g)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest, preferably organic
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar (80 g), sifted, plus more dusting
- 1 pint fresh blueberries (375 g)
- Make the sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1. Place the flour, butter, and sugar in a food processor and process in short bursts until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. While the motor is running, add the egg yolks and vanilla. Add the ice water and process until the dough just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, bring the dough together and flatten into a disc shape. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Roll the pastry out between a couple sheets of parchment paper until its 1/8-inch thick. Line a lightly buttered 13-by-3-inch (33-by-9-cm) loose-bottomed rectangular tart tin with the pastry. Trim the edges and prick the base with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3. Line the pastry with parchment paper, fill with baking weights or uncooked rice, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and the weights and bake for 10 minutes more or until golden. Let cool to room temperature.
- Make the filling for the tart
- 4. While the crust is baking, make the filling by placing the mascarpone, lemon zest, and sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- Assemble the tart
- 5. Spread the filling onto the cooled tart shell, strew the blueberries over the top, and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Behold!