Conundrum Over Raw Cream

QI have recently gotten into making ice cream and other cream-based desserts and foods. In efforts to use the finest ingredients, I have been doing a lot of research on creams. I want to find the best-tasting and best-textured cream (or make it if possible). Do you know anything about this? In an article I recently read, it recommended using “unprocessed raw cream” and “European style butter.” I am unclear about what this means, what the differences in various creams and butters are, and where I might buy them. Any guidance you can give me would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.
— Imelda W., Upper West Side, NY, NY

AUnprocessed raw cream may be available at health-food stores. Ronnybrook sells non-homogenized milk and cream, although it is, I believe, illegal to sell unpasteurized milk in stores. I used to get it some 20 years ago by going right to a local dairy farm — although I realize that won’t be so easy on the Upper West Side. European-style butter is easier to find; it has a higher butterfat content than American butters. Plugrá is an example of a brand sold in gourmet markets here. Hope this helps.
— Gary (who has no financial connection to any brands mentioned, other than buying them for his own use) Allen

Article © 2006 Gary Allen. All rights reserved. Visit Gary’s Web site, On the Table.

Have something to say?

Then tell us. Have a picture you'd like to add to your comment? Attach it below. And as always, please take a gander at our comment policy before posting.

Upload a picture of your dish