A breakfast martini is made with just a few ingredients—marmalade, lemon juice, cointreau, and gin—and oh, what a way to start a weekend day!
The boozy breakfast martini takes its name less from the time of day at which it may or may not be appropriate to consume it and more for the soupçon of marmalade that smooths the edges of its other ingredients—namely gin and Cointreau. It was created by Salvatore Calabrese and supposedly inspired by his wife’s morning repast of toast and jam taken at the bar. As for how well the cocktail pairs with marmalade-slathered toast, we’ll let you come to your own conclusion. Originally published December 30, 2016.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Special Equipment: Cocktail shaker (or a Mason jar with a lid)
Breakfast Martini Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Serves 1
- 2 ounces (60 ml) gin
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) Cointreau
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade
- Orange twist, for garnish
- 1. Shake the gin, lemon juice, Cointreau, and marmalade in a cocktail shaker with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with the orange twist.