Homemade cashew butter is easy as can be to make yourself. And there’s no hidden sugar or artificial anything. Here’s how to make it.
There’s no need to ever buy cashew butter again. Made with just two ingredients, this homemade nut butter comes together surprisingly easily to make and turns out unbelievably smooth and creamy. It’s also relatively inexpensive to make compared to store-bought cashew butter. Here’s how to make it.–Renee Schettler Rossi
How to Use Cashew Butter
- Spread it on toast.
- Dip fruit into it.
- Drizzle it on porridge.
- Blend it into smoothies.
- Add it to banana ice cream.
- Spoon it straight from the jar!
Homemade Cashew Butter
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 45 M
- Makes about 1 cup
Special Equipment: A really strong food processor, such as a Vitamix or a Cuisinart, to make this nut butter successfully. A punier processor won’t render it totally smooth.
- 14 ounces (397 grams) raw cashew pieces (salted or unsalted)
- Pinch salt (if using unsalted cashews, add a pinch of salt)
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- 2. Spread the cashews on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 6 to 10 minutes, until they start to turn golden brown but not burnt. Watch your cashews carefully because they can go from golden to gone beyond hope within seconds. Immediately transfer the cashews to a plate and let cool to room temperature.
- 3. Place the cooled cashews in a powerful food processor with the salt and vanilla powder, if using, and blend for about 10 minutes, until the mixture is totally smooth and creamy. It’s incredibly tempting to stop blending once the nut mixture gets sticky, but keep going. It may form a ball that ricochets around the food processor but don’t worry it will turn into a fairly smooth and creamy, albeit not runny, nut butter. It may take as long as 10 minutes to turn silken and creamy. Store it in an airtight jar at room temperature or in the fridge. If the cashew butter is refrigerated, you’ll want to let it warm to room temperature before using.