This cookie dough buttercream frosting is easy to make and perfect for cakes and cupcakes. It’s made from pantry staples including chocolate chips, butter, sugar, and sour cream. The best part: It’s safe to eat because there’s no egg.
No judgement here if you snitch this chocolate chip cookie dough buttercream frosting straight from the bowl. Who can resist its insanely simple and satisfying cookie dough soul?! Plus it’s easy to make, insanely indulgent, and ridiculously perfect for slathering atop cakes and cupcakes, as well as, natch, snitching straight from the bowl. Originally published October 4, 2016.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Cookie Dough Buttercream Frosting
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes, a 9-inch layer cake, or a 9-by-13-inch sheet cake
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (5 oz)
- 12 ounces confectioners sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt salt
- 2 ounces sour cream (DO NOT use low-fat or non-fat sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.2 ounces dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into small pieces
- 1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until combined, at least 3 minutes. The frosting will be slightly grainy because of the chocolate pieces.
- 2. Indulge in the frosting straight from the spoon or spread the frosting over a cake or cupcake.