This cookie dough buttercream frosting is easy to make, insanely indulgent, and ridiculously perfect for slathering atop cakes and cupcakes, and, natch, snitching straight from the bowl.
No judgement here if you snitch this chocolate chip cookie dough buttercream frosting straight from the bowl. Who can resist its insanely simple and satisfying cookie dough soul?! Rest assured, though, if you’re looking for less private, more shareable uses for this ingenious frosting, it also works admirably slathered atop cake or vanilla cupcakes.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Cookie Dough Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes, a 9-inch layer cake, or a 9-by-13-inch sheet cake
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (5 ounces/150 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 12 ounces (350 grams) confectioners sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt salt
- 2 ounces (60 grams) sour cream (DO NOT use low-fat or non-fat sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1.2 ounces (35 grams) dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into small pieces
- 1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until combined, at least 3 minutes. The frosting will be slightly grainy because of the chocolate pieces.
- 2. Indulge in the frosting straight from the spoon or spread the frosting over a cake or cupcake.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!