This zucchini salad is a jumble of raw shaved summer vegetables including zucchini, summer squash, fennel, and cucumber along with herbs, lemon, and olive oil that comes together easily and doesn’t even require you to turn on the stove. Sounds like summer to us.
This zucchini salad just sorta tastes like summer goodness in that exquisitely natural yet delicious way that irresistibly I-can’t-stop-eating-this-because-it-tastes-sooooo-good-yet-it’s-also-healthy-for-me sorta way. It’s a pleasing jumble of sweet zucchini and bracing fennel and bitter parsley and tart citrus. And best yet, the only effort involved in this raw shaved salad is a little vegetable peeler action. No need to even turn on the stove. Simple summer supper, anyone? Originally published August 2, 2017.–Renee Schettler Rossi
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 20 M
- Serves 2 to 4
- 2 medium zucchini (11 1/2 oz)
- 1 fennel bulb (7 oz), trimmed, washed and halved
- 1/2 cucumber (4 1/2 oz), washed, lightly peeled if the skin is tough
- A small bunch dill (or substitute fennel leaves), fronds torn
- A small bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and torn or finely chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)
- Juice of 1 lemon or yuzu (about 3 tablespoons)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Using a vegetable peeler, a handheld shaver, or a mandoline, shave the zucchini lengthways into thin ribbons. Repeat with the fennel and cucumber.
- 2. Place the shaved vegetables in a large serving bowl and sprinkle with the dill and parsley. Dribble with some really lovely extra-virgin olive oil and then squeeze with the lemon or yuzu juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. That’s it. You’re done.