These baked apples are drizzled with coconut cream and stuffed with raisins, walnuts, ginger, and spices. Simple, spectacularly delicious, and vegan--although you'd never guess from the indulgent taste.
These apples are crammed to nearly spilling over with a lightly sweetened and spiced walnut and raisin mixture and then slowly baked until tender before being annointed with a dollop of coconut cream. Not only are these baked apples with coconut cream fantastically delicious, they come with the added bonus of being relatively healthy and vegan, too. Which makes it perfectly acceptable to have seconds. Or belly up to them for breakfast as well as dessert.–Angie Zoobkoff
Baked Apples with Coconut Cream Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H, 10 M
- Serves 6
- For the baked apples
- 6 apples, such as Fuji or golden delicious (about 2 1/2 pounds or 1.1kg)
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants (75 g)
- Big handful of walnuts (about 1/2 cup or 56 g) (reserve a small scoop for extra topping), chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, preferably grade A (30 ml)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (5 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or powder (5 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated (2 g)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (10 ml)
- 1/2 cup water (120 ml)
- For the coconut cream
- 3/4 cup plain coconut milk yogurt (177 ml)
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root (2 to 3 g)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons maple syrup, preferably grade A (5 to 10 ml)
- Make the baked apples
- 1. Crank your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- 2. With an apple corer, take out a large portion of the apple core from each apple by carving a hole from the top of the apple to nearly the bottom, taking care to not puncture the apple all the way through.
- 3. In a small bowl, toss the raisins, walnuts, maple, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, and sea salt together.
- 4. Place the cored apples in a baking pan and fill each apple with the stuffing mixture. (Editor’s note: It’s ok if you have some stuffing mixture leftover. It’s quite delicious eaten straight from the bowl). Top each apple with about 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil.
- 5. Add a few splashes of water on top of the stuffed apples and place them in the oven. Keep adding a splash of water to each apple every 10 minutes as it bakes—this keeps them moist. Cook the apples until they’re soft and the skin is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Make the coconut cream
- 6. While the apples are baking, in a medium bowl, stir together the yogurt, ginger, and maple syrup.
- Serve the baked apples
- 7. Remove the baked apples from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Top the apples with a sprinkling of extra nuts and serve each apple warm with a drizzle of the ginger-coconut cream.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!