In this celery root salad with clementines, celeriac (or celery root) is cleverly blitzed with lemon juice in the food processor until minced so finely it could stand in for couscous. It’s then tossed with olive oil, clementine segments, toasted pumpkin seeds, olives, shallots, and parsley. It’s vegan, although EVERYONE will be clamoring for more.
Unfamiliar with celery root? It’s “an aggressive-looking vegetable with a surprisingly gentle flavor,” to borrow the words of the author of this recipe, and we couldn’t agree more. The sturdy root vegetable is sorta sweetly nutty and, not surprisingly, it has a hint of celery to its taste. It’s most commonly roasted or puréed or tossed into soups, although because we think conventional can be overrated, here it’s blitzed in a food processor until it’s tiny pieces that could be mistaken for couscous. Then it’s simply tossed with clementines, pumpkin seeds, and parsley. What results is surprising, sassy, and, we dare say, even sophisticated. See for yourself.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Celery Root Salad with Clementines
- Quick Glance
- 50 M
- 50 M
- Serves 4
- 5 cups peeled and roughly chopped celery root, from 1 large celery root (27 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup sliced green olives
- 1 packed cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 clementines, segmented and cut into small chunks
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1. Toss the celery root, sea salt, and lemon juice in a food processor and process until it’s finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the olive oil.
- 2. Place a large skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, toss in the pumpkin seeds and let them toast, tossing often, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the pumpkin seeds to a plate and let them cool slightly.
- 3. Add the green olives, parsley, clementines, shallot, and pumpkin seeds to the finely chopped celery root and toss. Taste and, if desired, add some salt.