This farro salad with radicchio and almonds is simplicity itself. Cooked farro and wedges of charred radicchio are tossed with ricotta salata cheese, almonds, and a tart lemony dressing. Great for lunch, as an appetizer, or a simple side dish.
Eating healthy can get tiresome if you’re not careful. Fortunately you have us to look out for you and your food ruts. This stunner of a summer salad jumbles together nutty farro, smoky grilled radicchio, tangy ricotta salata, and a just-tart-enough lemon vinaigrette in a way that’s gonna woo you and everyone at your table. You may even forget it’s good for you.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Farro Salad with Radicchio and Almonds
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 45 M
- Serves 4
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup raw whole almonds
- 1 medium head radicchio (12 oz)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the farro and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the farro is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and shake out any excess water.
- 3. Scatter the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate, let cool, and then coarsely chop.
- 4. Quarter the radicchio lengthwise into wedges. Brush with olive oil and season with salt. Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the radicchio wedges, with 1 cut side facing down, and cook until charred, about 2 minutes. Turn the wedges so the other cut side is face down and cook until charred, another 2 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice the radicchio crosswise.
- 5. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, and ricotta salata. Add the farro, radicchio, and most of the almonds and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper and the remaining almonds. Serve immediately.