This roasted winter squash and carrots with miso glaze is a rice bowl with tender root vegetables, avocado, toasted sesame seeds, and tofu that’s an excellent way to eat in season and do something good for your body.
Couldn’t resist the acorn squash at the farmer’s market? Neither could we. And that’s a good thing. It means we can revel in this simple yet umami-rich rice bowl made with tender roasted squash and carrots that’ve been doused with a simple miso dressing along with some tofu, avocado, and greens. And if the flavor isn’t sufficiently convincing, it’s also pretty portable, making it perfect for lunch at the office or on the go.–Angie Zoobkoff
Roasted Winter Squash and Carrots With Miso Glaze
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H, 15 M
- Serves 2 to 3
- For the miso marinade
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons organic red miso paste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey or pure maple syrup
- For the grain bowl
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 carrots (8 oz), sliced on the diagonal into 1 1/2-inch (4-cm) chunks
- 12 ounces unpeeled kabocha or acorn squash, sliced or cut into 1 1/2-inch (25-mm) chunks
- 2 cups fresh greens, such as arugula, chopped kale, mizuna, or red-leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1-inch (25-mm) slices
- 2 teaspoons gomashio or toasted sesame seeds
- 1 block organic extra-firm savory tofu, drained and patted dry, cut into 3⁄4-inch (18-mm) cubes (optional)
- Prepare the oven and pan
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°F). Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Make the marinade
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, miso paste, vinegar, and honey or maple syrup. [Editor’s Note: You may like the flavors of this marinade so much that you’ll wish you had more to drizzle over your finished rice bowl. You may want to go ahead and double the marinade and save half for drizzling at the end.]
- Make the grain bowl
- 3. Add the carrots and squash to the marinade, toss to evenly coat, and set aside for about 20 minutes.
- 4. Spread the marinated carrots and squash in an even layer on the prepared sheet. Place on the middle rack of the oven and roast until lightly caramelized, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- 5. Divide the rice among serving bowls and top each bowl with the roasted veggies. Finish with your choice of fresh greens, avocado, gomashio or sesame seeds, and tofu, if using.