This warm potato salad with basil vinaigrette is a summer picnic staple. For this easy salad, warm baby red potatoes are drizzled with a basil-packed dressing made with garlic, vinegar, and mustard.
If you peruse the selection of potato salad recipes on the site, you’ll quickly see that we’re fans of potatoes. Very big fans. And we’re not picky. We love potato salad in every form, from the classic creamy version to tangy German potato salad. This recipe for warm potato salad with basil vinaigrette is no exception. We love that it’s ready in just 30 minutes and that it contains no eggs or dairy, making it perfect for picnics, potlucks, and for those following vegan diets.–Angie Zoobkoff
☞ Table of Contents
Warm Potato Salad FAQs
Can I make the basil vinaigrette without a food processor?
Sure. Simply chop up the basil and garlic as finely as possible and use a whisk to blend everything together.
Should I peel potatoes for potato salad?
It depends on the type of potato you are using. In this case, the small red potatoes have thin skins, so it’s not necessary to peel them.
Warm Potato Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- 1 3/4 pounds small red potatoes scrubbed
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 small clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- Steam the potatoes over boiling water until tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 15 minutes. (Alternatively, boil them in well-salted water until tender. Drain them and return them to the pot in which they were cooked and set over low heat for a few seconds to dry them.)
- In a food processor, combine the basil, garlic, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. With the motor running, gradually add the oil until completely incorporated.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, halve or quarter them, depending on their size. Put them in a large serving bowl and drizzle with about 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette. Serve warm with extra vinaigrette on the side, if you like.
Recipe Testers’ Reviews
This warm potato salad was a really simple recipe to make, but oh-so delicious. Steam the potatoes and process the basil vinaigrette. The basil vinaigrette adds so much flavor, and is delicious on the still-warm potatoes. I’ll make this again exactly as written. It’s a wonderful side dish for almost any meal.
Originally published July 13, 2009