For this green chile macaroni and cheese, Lisa Fain mixes Anaheim peppers, Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, onions, cream, spices, snd a topping of finely crushed tortilla chips.
This grown-up rendition of mac and cheese is ridiculously rich, creamy, and cheesy, just like the classic. But with a little more gusto in the form of some mild heat, thanks to the addition of green chiles and cumin. A smattering of crushed tortilla chips rather than bread crumbs on top brings the Southwestern theme to completion. Comfort food indulgence taken to the next level.–Angie Zoobkoff
Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 45 M
- Serves 6 to 8
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (1/2 oz)
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 Anaheim chiles (about 1 lb), roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely diced, or more or less to taste
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the macaroni. Cook according to the package directions until al dente, then drain the pasta.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large, broiler-safe skillet set over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chiles and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the pasta, cream, half the Monterey Jack, and half the Cheddar. Cook, stirring, until the cheeses have melted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the salt, cumin, and cayenne, and then taste and adjust the seasonings if desired.
- 3. Position an oven rack 6 inches (15 cm) from the upper heating element and preheat the broiler.
- 4. Sprinkle first with the macaroni with the remaining Monterey Jack and Cheddar and then with the crushed tortilla chips. Place the skillet under the broiler and cook until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.