This kale salad with miso dressing tops baked sweet potatoes with baby kale, scallions, cilantro, walnuts, and an umami-rich miso dressing. Eating your veggies was never so easy.
Ever encounter someone who seemed unrealistically enthusiastic about eating healthy? This salad is why. It’s satisfying and healthful plate composed of roasted sweet potatoes, kale, and an umami-rich miso salad dressing. Stunningly persuasive, whether as an entree or a side.–Angie Zoobkoff
Kale Salad with Miso Dressing
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 50 M
- Serves 4 to 6
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (2 1/4 lbs), peeled, halved crosswise, and cut into 1-inch (25-mm) wedges
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely grated
- 4 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white miso
- 5 ounces baby kale
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with 4 tablespoons oil. Spread the potatoes in an even layer on the baking sheet and roast until tender and the edges begin to darken, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Stir the potatoes, return to the oven, and increase the temperature to 500°F (260°C). Roast until the sweet potatoes are a dark spotty brown and slightly crisp at the edges, 5 to 10 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle with the paprika, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and then toss.
- 4. While the potatoes roast, in a small bowl, stir together the garlic and vinegar. Let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, miso, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 5. When the potatoes are done, in another large bowl, toss together the kale, scallions, cilantro, and 1/2 the walnuts. Pour in the dressing and toss. Divide the sweet potatoes among plates and top with the salad. Sprinkle with the remaining walnuts and serve immediately.