The kitty highball is a low alcohol aperitif made with red wine, ginger syrup, lime juice, and soda water or seltzer. Ideal for all night sipping.
When you want (need?!) to sip all night long without getting tipsy and without feeling like you’re being deprived, this inspired riff on a classic is what you want. The original kitty highball, essentially red wine watered down with ginger ale, was created as a low-alcohol aperitif. This contemporary riff elevates it by infusing red wine with deconstructed ginger ale—that is to say, natural ginger syrup, seltzer, and a touch of lime. Definitely something you’ll want to sip all night long.–Angie Zoobkoff
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Serves 1
- 2 ounces red wine
- 3/4 ounce store-bought or homemade ginger syrup*
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- Seltzer or soda water
- Candied ginger (optional)
- 1. In a cocktail shaker, combine the wine, ginger syrup, and lime juice. (Alternatively, make a big batch of the wine mixture and stash it in the fridge for aperitif emergencies.) Add a small piece of cracked ice and shake until chilled, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2. Strain into a collins glass filled with ice, top with a splash of seltzer or soda water, and garnish with the candied ginger.
*HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN GINGER SYRUP
- If you’d like to make your own ginger syrup, simply combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/4 cup fresh ginger juice in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Let cool completely before using. Refrigerate in a covered container for up to 1 month.