Rich with the flavors of orange and vanilla and the caramelized goodness of bourbon, this fall spice cordial recipe sits more on the spiced than spicy side of the spectrum. This sweet cordial pairs well with autumn pies and other desserts or makes a great sipper to enjoy fireside.–Kara Newman
LC Smoky Sweet Heat Note
What the author doesn’t mention above is that this recipe brings the smoky sweet heat of chipotle to the bourbon. An inspired coupling, we may add. Tasting is believing.
Fall Spice Cordial
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 20 M
- Makes 1 cocktail
IngredientsEmail Grocery List
- For the chipotle-orange syrup
- 2 cups water
- 1 dried chipotle pepper (not canned chipotle in adobo sauce)
- 2 strips dried orange peel, or fresh peel, if dried peel is not available
- 3/4 cup sugar
- For the cordial
- 1 ounce bourbon
- 3/4 ounce Chipotle-Orange Syrup
- 1 ounce vanilla vodka or Navan vanilla Cognac
- 2 dashes Regan's orange bitters
- Orange peel, for garnish
- Make the chipotle-orange syrup
- 1. Bring the water to boil in a small saucepan. Toss in the chipotle pepper and orange peel, reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve and add the sugar. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and bring to a a boil. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- 3. Pour the syrup into a resealable container and keep in the refrigerator.
- Mix the cordial
- 4. Mix together all the ingredients except for the orange peel. Shake together with ice and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with the orange peel.