The pudding can be made in individual ramekins for a tonier presentation. Larger mushroom pieces lend a more dramatic presence, and they heighten the chances that the mushrooms will caramelize and take on a toasty flavor for the corn pudding.–Sam Beall
LC What Goes With Corn Pudding? Note
What goes with corn pudding? Steak. Roast hen. Pork. Fish. Question is, what doesn’t go with corn pudding? Yeah, we don’t know, either.
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 1 H
- Serves 4
IngredientsEmail Grocery List
- For the corn pudding
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen sweet corn kernels
- For the mushrooms
- 1 pound hen-of-the-woods or oyster mushrooms, brushed to remove any dirt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Make the corn pudding
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Use about 2 tablespoons of the melted butter to grease a 9-by-9-inch casserole or glass baking dish.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal and warm water. Whisk in the remaining melted butter until combined. Whisk in the eggs, milk, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Gently fold in the corn kernels.
- 3. Scrape the batter into the buttered dish, cover with foil, and bake for about 35 minutes, until the center is slightly puffed. Remove the foil and continue to bake for about 10 minutes more, until the top is golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Cook the mushrooms
- 4. While the pudding bakes, make the mushrooms. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, oil, salt, and pepper and toss to coat. Cook, tossing frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes, until the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- 5. Remove the skillet from the heat and place it in the oven along with the corn pudding for about 12 minutes, until they are very tender.
- 6. To serve, place a scoop of the pudding on each serving plate and spoon the mushrooms over the top.