Because these tarts are less bothersome to make than a pie — they take all of 30 minutes to make once you have the dough prepared — you can file them under easy-to-make. I bake them for weeknight dinners, brunches, picnics, even late-night snacks.–David Leite
Rustic Apple Tarts
- Quick Glance
- 40 M
- 2 H, 15 M
- Makes 4 tarts
IngredientsEmail Grocery List
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons sugar, mixed with 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, cut in quarters and sliced paper-thin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, quartered
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt until blended. Add the butter cubes and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal with pieces no bigger than small peas, about 13 to 15 one-second pulses.
- 2. With the motor running, add the ice water all at once through the feed tube. Process for about 10 seconds, stopping before the dough becomes a solid mass. Turn the contents of the bowl onto a work surface, form into four equal-size discs, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an one hour.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 450°F (220°C). On a lightly floured surface, roll out each disc into a 7-inch circle and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 4. Spread one-quarter of the ginger mixture on each tart, then arrange one-quarter of the slices (about half an apple) in an overlapping circular pattern on top, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle the sugar evenly on top of the apples and fold over the borders. Most of the apples will remain uncovered. Press down the dough on the baking sheet, snugly securing the sides and seams to prevent drips. Dot the center of each tart with butter.
- 5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crusts are golden and the apples have begun to brown slightly. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.