A popular ingredient in many confections, candied orange peel is also delicious eaten plain or dipped in chocolate.–Carole Bloom
Chocolate-Covered Candied Orange Peel Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 3 H
- Makes 6 cups
- 6 to 8 large thick-skinned oranges
- 6 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 1. Slice the ends off the oranges and discard. Cut the oranges into quarters, then cut off all but 1/2 inch of the pulp, which keeps the peel from becoming bitter as it cooks. Cut the quarters into thin slices.
- 2. Place the orange slices in a 6-quart saucepan and cover with cold water. Over medium-high heat, bring the water to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Drain off the water and repeat this process with fresh cold water two more times.
- 3. After the third boil, drain the orange slices, rinse them in cold water, and remove any pulp that is still attached. In the saucepan, combine the orange slices, 3 cups of the sugar, and the orange liqueur, and cook over low heat until the sugar is dissolved (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly.
- 4. Continue to cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Most of the sugar will be absorbed by the peel as it cooks. Remove the saucepan from the heat and immediately begin the next step.
- 5. Place the remaining 3 cups sugar on a sheet of waxed paper. Roll spoonfuls of the orange slices in the sugar, separating the slices to coat them completely.
- 6. Transfer the slices onto another sheet of waxed paper and let them air-dry (20 to 30 minutes).
- In a tightly covered container, the peel will keep for 2 to 3 months in the refrigerator.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!