This watermelon and ginger is an inspired upgrade on simple sliced watermelon. Slice watermelon, rub with ginger, devour, repeat. Sweet heat. Not that we have anything against watermelon straight up. This is just…better.
Watermelon and Ginger
- Quick Glance
- 5 M
- 5 M
- Serves any number, depending on the size of the watermelon
IngredientsEmail Grocery List
- One (5-inch) piece fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1 watermelon, red or yellow, chilled
- 1. Cut the ginger into 1 inch lengths and then cut each length in half lengthwise.
- 2. Cut the watermelon lengthwise into quarters, then cut each quarter crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices. Rub the cut sides of the ginger on the watermelon.
- 3. Pile the watermelon slices on a platter and, well, you can take it from here. Originally published June 28, 2010.
Recipe Testers Reviews
How do you improve on watermelon? Rub it with ginger. Does it work? Yes. Is it delicious? Yes. Is it refreshing? Yes. Would I make this again? Absolutely yes.
When the editors mention "sweet heat," yes, it's true. But sweet meets heat here so gently, it whispers, and I imagine even non-ginger lovers (are there any?) would find this a treat. And it takes just 5 minutes from start to finish, maybe even less.
This was such a good idea, I revisited the Watermelon Limeade recipe on this site, and would now add a comment to my previous notes that a hint of ginger added to the limeade would be as divine there as it is here.