Few recipes that come together in short order boast sass and surprise. This chilled cantaloupe soup with prosciutto sandwiches is an exception. The ingredients couldn’t be more accessible, and the results couldn’t be less expected.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Cantaloupe Soup with Prosciutto-Mozzarella Sandwiches
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 10 M
- Serves 6
- For the sandwiches
- 2 small baguettes
- 2 8-ounce balls fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the soup
- 2 cantaloupes, chilled, halved, and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 mint leaves, cut into thin strips or torn into itty bitty pieces
- Make the sandwiches
- 1. Cut each baguette in half lengthwise, then slice each baguette portion crosswise into thirds.
- 2. Place a slice or three of mozzarella and prosciutto on the bottom of each baguette. Drizzle with the oil and then sandwich each with the corresponding top portion of the baguette.
- Make the soup
- 3. Purée the cantaloupe and salt in a blender until smooth. Pour the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the pepper and fresh mint.
- 4. Serve the soup with the sandwiches.