These grilled New York strip steaks are cooked to perfection and topped with a slather of roasted garlic butter made from garlic, olive oil, butter, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Boo-yah!
Some consider the perfect grilled steak to be simple and unadorned. Others consider grilled steak to be incomplete without smothering it with roast garlic butter. Those of you in the latter category, this recipe with its audaciously indulgent gilding of butter (and perfect grilling technique for the consummate steak supper) is for you. Originally published June 5, 2001.–Renee Schettler Rossi
How To Grill Steak To Perfection
There’s grilled steak. And then there’s perfectly grilled steak. indirect-medium to direct-high cooking for Jamie’s utterly delicious steak recipe. Make sure your family and friends are gathered round the grill to watch the show as you slide the steak, causing flames to lick at its underside. If you want a little grilling visual aid, watch this cooking video starring Jamie Purviance and our very own David Leite.
Grilled New York Strip Steaks
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 1 H, 40 M
- Serves 4
- For the roast garlic butter
- 1 large head garlic
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the New York strip steaks
- Four (3/4 pound) New York strip steaks, about 1 inch (24 mm) thick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, coarsely ground
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Make the garlic butter
- 1. Preheat the grill, setting it up for indirect heat.
- 2. Remove the loose, papery outer skin from the garlic head and cut about 1/2 inch off the top to expose the cloves. Place the garlic head on an 8-inch square of aluminum foil and drizzle the olive oil over the top of the cloves. Fold up the foil sides and seal to make a packet, leaving a little space at the top for steam to escape. Grill over indirect medium heat until the cloves are soft, 30 to 45 minutes, depending on their size.
- 3. Remove the foil packet from the grill and let cool. Squeeze the papery husks to release the cloves into a bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the garlic together with the remaining garlic butter ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prep the New York strip steaks
- 4. Season both sides of the strip steaks with the salt and pepper, pressing them into the meat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill the New York strip steaks
- 5. Lightly rub or brush both sides of the steaks with the oil. Grill over direct high heat, turning once halfway through grilling time, until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare, 8 to 10 minutes, depending on the exact thickness. Remove the steaks from the grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- 6. Divvy the garlic butter into 4 equal-size portions and dollop it on top of each steak.