Savory, satisfying, scrumptious. That’s a great alliteration to describe this crab cake recipe. A nice balance of crab and cake deliver a satisfying dish with the rémoulade rounding out the flavors.
On an educational note: We are most familiar with pure vanilla extract but it is good to know the equivalents if you’re in a pinch: 1 whole vanilla bean equals 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or 1 tablespoon vanilla powder.–Nielsen-Massey Vanillas
Crab Cakes with Vanilla Rémoulade
- Quick Glance
- 35 M
- 45 M
- Serves 4
IngredientsEmail Grocery List
- For the rémoulade
- 1 cup store bought or homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons store-bought or homemade tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- For the crab cakes
- 12 ounces lump crab meat, canned or frozen
- 1 cup plain dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 finely chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- Nonstick cooking oil spray, for frying
- Make the rémoulade
- 1. Combine the mayonnaise, tomato paste and vanilla in a bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
- Make the crab cakes
- 2. Rinse and drain the crab meat, discarding any shell fragments.
- 3. Dump 1/2 cup bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Combine the crab meat, mayonnaise, egg, the remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs, the green onion, bell pepper, parsley, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and vanilla in a large bowl and mix well. Shape into patties. Dredge each patty in the bread crumbs to coat.
- 4. Spray a nonstick skillet with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Place the crab cakes in the hot skillet and cook until crispy and golden brown.
- 5. Serve the crab cakes with the rémoulade.