This is an unusual addition to afternoon tea. Instead of bland cucumber and butter, you’ll find rich, musky prosciutto and tangy honey mustard and cool asparagus. These sandwiches are a perfect foil to stronger, more full-bodied teas.–David Leite
Asparagus and Prosciutto Tea Sandwiches Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 25 M
- Makes 18 sandwiches
- 54 medium asparagus spears
- 18 slices firm-textured bread
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound prosciutto di Parma, thinly sliced
- Honey mustard
- 1. Cut asparagus spears to fit bread slices.
- 2. In a large saucepan fitted with steamer insert, bring 1 inch of water to a boil and steam asparagus until just cooked, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Plunge asparagus into bowl of ice water. When chilled, remove and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4. Spread bread slices with thin layer of cream cheese, pepper generously and set aside.
- 5. Cut each prosciutto slice in half lengthwise, and spread with 1/4 teaspoon or more of mustard. Starting with tip, roll asparagus in prosciutto, spiraling downward as you go. Repeat with each spear.
- 6. Cover 9 bread slices with 6 wrapped spears each, then top with remaining slices. With a serrated knife, trim crusts. Cut each sandwich in half across spears. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!