These chocolate-dipped molasses cookies have the best of everything: molasses, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and, natch, chocolate. Bake, dip, and wrap to make a delightful gift.
Yes, though the name chocolate-dipped molasses cookies doesn’t say it, these little mounds of loveliness are vegan. But we swear they’re sure to be loved by everyone who tries them. The author suggests serving them with hot tea or… get this: whiskey. (She’s our kind of gal!) Originally published December 6, 2011. –Renee Schettler Rossi
How to Tempered Chocolate
If you wish, you can certainly temper the chocolate in which you dip these cookies. It makes for a glossier appearance and a few other things. But honestly? Don’t sweet, er, sweat it. Just melt some dang chocolate and dip the cookies and be done with it.
Chocolate-Dipped Molasses Cookie Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H
- Makes 24
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and, preferably, tempered (see note above)
- 1. To make the chocolate dipped molasses cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. In a stand mixer, cream together the coconut oil, sugar, molasses, and sweet potato. In a separate, small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of water, the vegetable oil, and baking powder. Add this to the sugar mixture.
- 3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. Beat the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- 4. Roll the dough into tablespoon-size balls, and place, about 2 inches apart, on the cookies sheets. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, rotating the sheets once during baking. Remove from the oven and cool completely on racks.
- 5. When the cookies are completely cool, dip each one in the tempered chocolate, so that half the cookie is coated, and the other half is bare. Place the cookie back on the sheet pan and allow the chocolate to set before serving.