It’s the marinade that gives this pork its tender, savory taste. Some moo yang vendors sell the pork in slices on a plate without the skewers, adding some cucumber and fresh herbs. The pork also goes really well with green papaya salad and sticky rice.–Tom Vandenberghe
LC Cilantro Root Competence Note
Tom Vandenberghe, author of the really quite lavishly photographed–and packed full of recipes–book Bangkok Street Food, explains that the cilantro root is relied on quite often in Thai cooking. If you can get your hands on it, most likely from an Asian market or greenmarket, just wash, scrape, and chop it finely, he explains. If you can’t find cilantro root, he continues, no sweat. Use the cilantro stems and leaves instead. It won’t be exactly the same thing, but it’s the next best option. So worry not. Either works to a fare-thee-well in this recipe, in which the cilantro presence is a gentle hint rather than an overwhelming howdy doo.
Special Equipment: 10 wooden or bamboo skewers
Thai Grilled Pork Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 10 M
- 1 H, 40 M
- Makes 10 to 12 skewers
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 cilantro roots, scraped and chopped (or a small handful of cilantro stems)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce (light as in “not dark,” but “low-sodium” will also work)
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar (or just blitz granulated sugar in a blender until finely ground but not powdery)
- 1 pound pork tenderloin or loin, thinly sliced at an angle into strips
- 1. Soak the skewers in water for 1 hour to prevent them from burning. Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients but the pork in a large bowl and mix well. Add the pork and marinate for at least half an hour.
- 2. Fire up the grill (preferably a charcoal one) and let it settle on medium or medium-high flames.
- 3. “Weave” the strips of pork onto the skewers, allowing as much of the marinade to cling to the pork as you desire. Grill, turning a few times, until the pork is cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve the skewers immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Hey, there. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!