I don’t know what I like more about these Parmesan Twists—the way they look or the way they taste. They’re light, crisp, tasty, and have I mentioned how easy they are to make? Four ingredients and only 20 minutes of prep. They’re also visually compelling. If you put them out for a party, consider arranging them in a tall vase so they can splay out like a bunch of branches. Alternatively, place them on a tray.–Allison Fishman
LC As You Like It Note
You can take a lot of artistic license with these crowd-pleasing twists. Use any puff pastry, whether store-bought or homemade. (If buying store-bought, we swear by Dufour, which is made with actual butter and not hydrogenated, chemical-tasting stuff.) Vary the spice and cheese according to your whim, whether chile powder or cayenne, Cheddar or Manchego. Play with the width if a skinny twist just doesn’t offer enough substance for you. Suit yourself. And let us know what you did.
Parmesan Twists Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 20 M
- 30 M
- Makes 18 to 24 straws
- Flour for the work surface
- One 16- to 18 1/2-ounce package frozen sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, unfold the puff pastry. (Depending on the brand of puff pastry, you may have either 1 or 2 sheets.) Lightly sprinkle the pastry sheet(s) with flour. Grab a rolling pin and roll the pastry to between 1/8- and 1/4-inch thickness. (If using an 18 1/2-ounce sheet, this will measure about a 12-inch square.) Lightly brush the pastry with some of the egg mixture.
- 3. Sprinkle the Parmesan and paprika evenly over the pastry. Using your fingers, gently but firmly press the toppings into the pastry so they adhere.
- 4. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, slice the puff into 24 strips, each about 1/2 inch wide. Divvy the strips between the baking sheets, seasoned side up. Working with 1 twist at a time, hold an end in each hand and twist the strips at least twice, twisting in opposite directions to create a long spiral. Place it back on the sheet and repeat.
- 5. Bake the twists until puffed and golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.