Tiny fish-shaped cookie cutters work best for replicating the classic cheese crackers.–Lara Ferroni
LC Non-GMO Goldfish Note
We love these healthful goldfish crackers for countless reasons, among them the fact that they contain only ingredients we can pronounce and that the optional corn and oat flours in this recipe boost the nutrition and give a more complex texture to the crackers without making them icky to little palates. Mind you, if you want non-GMO goldfish, you’ll need to rely on organic ingredients. But just cutting out the lurid artificial coloring and unpronounceable preservatives is a start. A big one. We call these cheesy fish, and come to think of it, any leftover crackers may make a nice crumb crust in place of bread crumbs next time you make Fancy Fish Sticks….
Cheesy Fish Crackers
- Quick Glance
- 25 M
- 45 M
- Makes about 100 crackers
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup corn or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces grated, loosely packed mild Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water, or more as needed
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- 2. Combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, corn flour, oat flour, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the dough blade and pulse to combine. Add the cheese and butter or coconut oil, and pulse to incorporate. Scrape down the sides of the food processor to free any trapped flour. With the food processor running, drizzle in the hot water, a little at a time, just until the mixture begins to pull together. You may not use all of the water.
- 3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather it into a ball. Knead gently once or twice. Roll out the dough until it is slightly less than 1/8 inch thick.
- 4. Using a very small fish-shaped cutter or the cutter of your choice, cut out the crackers and carefully place them on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden around the edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets.
Gluten-Free Cheesy Fish Crackers
- For gluten-free Cheesy Fish, replace the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours with an equal amount gluten-free all-purpose baking mix. Place the dough between 2 sheets parchment paper for easier rolling.