These wizards’ hats cupcakes for Halloween are made with your favorite homemade or store-bought cupcakes, frosting, sugar cones, sprinkles, and candy. Inspired by Dumbledore.
These wizards’ hats cupcakes are brilliantly designed to conceal a stash of candy beneath their pointed caps. As to which candies, whatever small ones you fancy. Lots of them. Gummy worms. Candy corn. Jelly beans (just not in earwax or vomit flavors, please). We can’t imagine a more appropriate Halloween trick.–Renee Schettler Rossi
Wizards’ Hats Halloween Cupcakes
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 12 pointy sugar cones (you know, ice cream cones)
- Edible silver balls or colored sprinkles
- 12 cupcakes (any flavor)
- About 2 cups frosting (any flavor)
- Assorted sprinkles (orange and black are the most festive)
- Assorted unwrapped candies (small enough to stash in the cones)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, either in the microwave on a low setting or in a bowl set over but not touching a pan of barely simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). Stir until smooth.
- Hold a sugar cone over the bowl of chocolate and pour the melted chocolate over it with a spoon, turning the cone and repeating until it’s evenly coated, allowing any excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Sprinkle with edible silver balls or sprinkles, then stand the hats upright on the prepared baking sheet and let them rest, undisturbed, until the chocolate is set.
- To decorate the cones, cover the top of each cupcake with a swirl of frosting and scatter sprinkles on top. Fill the chocolate-coated ice cream cones with candies, stick the frosting side of the cupcake onto the bottom of the cone, and invert.
Originally published October 23, 2019