If you enjoy cardamom-scented Turkish coffee, then you’ll love these indulgent cream petit pots.–Greg and Lucy Malouf
Turkish Coffee Creams
If you enjoy cardamom-scented Turkish coffee, then you'll love these indulgent cream petit pots.
- 2 ounces dark-roasted, plain Turkish coffee finely ground
- 4 cardamom pods lightly crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces best-quality dark chocolate grated
- 5 free-range egg yolks
- Heaping 1/4 cup superfine sugar (or just blitz granulated sugar in a blender until finely ground but not powdery)
- Moisten the coffee grounds with a little water and put onto a muslin square with the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick, then tie securely with kitchen string to make a bag. Put the cream into a heavy-based saucepan with the muslin bag and bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to cool and infuse for about an hour.
- Squeeze the muslin bag back into the pan to extract as much flavor as possible, then discard it. Reheat the infused milk gently, then add the grated chocolate and stir until it has melted.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Pour on the hot cream mixture and whisk gently to combine. Pour the mixture back into the rinsed-out pan and cook gently until it thickens to a custard consistency. You should be able to draw a distinct line through the custard on the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat immediately and cool in a sink of ice water. Stir from time to time as the mixture cools down.
- Spoon the coffee cream into ramekins or little glasses and chill before serving.
Serving: 1portionCalories: 203kcal (10%)Carbohydrates: 11g (4%)Protein: 3g (6%)Fat: 17g (26%)Saturated Fat: 10g (63%)Polyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 149mg (50%)Sodium: 15mg (1%)Potassium: 97mg (3%)Fiber: 1g (4%)Sugar: 9g (10%)Vitamin A: 595IU (12%)Vitamin C: 1mg (1%)Calcium: 44mg (4%)Iron: 1mg (6%)
Originally published June 08, 2009
Recipe © 2008 Greg and Lucy Malouf. Photo © 2008 Lisa Cohen. All rights reserved. All materials used with permission.