This Portuguese Christmas Eve cod, called bacalhau de consoada, calls for salt cod, potatoes, cabbage and hard-boiled eggs. it’s a simple, humble, traditional dish.
For Christmas Eve supper, make plenty of this favorite easy-to-make dish.–Edite Vieira
Christmas Eve Cod | Bacalhau da Consoada
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil per person
- 1 clove garlic per person, minced
- 1 teaspoon wine vinegar per person (or less to taste)
- Fill with a large pot with enough boiling water to cover the fish by several inches. Cover the pan with a heavy dishtowel and leave the cod to soak in the hot water for 30 minutes. (If the fish isn’t cooked fully, simmer gently until finished.) Drain the cod, and remove any bits of skin or bone.
- To make the sauce, bring the oil and garlic to a boil in a small saucepan, remove from the heat, add the vinegar, beat well and serve in a sauceboat.
Originally published Nov 10, 2001