For this mashed potatoes and root vegetables side dish, russet potatoes will yield a slightly fluffier, less creamy mash potatoes, but they can be used in place of the Yukon Gold potatoes, if desired. Rinsing the potatoes in several changes of water reduces the amount of starch and prevents the mashed potatoes from becoming gluey. It is important to cut the potatoes and root vegetables into even-sized pieces so they cook at the same rate. This recipe can be doubled and cooked in a large Dutch oven. If doubling, increase the cooking time in step 2 to 40 minutes.–Editors at America’s Test Kitchen
Mashed Potatoes and Root Vegetables Recipe
- Quick Glance
- 30 M
- 1 H
- Serves 4
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) carrots, parsnips, turnips, or celery root, peeled; carrots or parsnips cut into 1/4 inch-thick half-moons; turnips or celery root cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 3 medium) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch-thick slices; rinsed well in 3 or 4 changes of cold water and drained well (see headnote)
- 1/3 cup homemade chicken stock or low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 3/4 cup half-and-half, warmed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Ground black pepper
- 1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the root vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter is browned and the vegetables are dark brown and caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes. (If after 4 minutes the vegetables have not started to brown, increase the heat to medium-high.)
- 2. Add the potatoes, broth, and 3/4 teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Cook, covered, over low heat (the broth should simmer gently; do not boil), stirring occasionally, until the potatoes fall apart easily when poked with a fork and all the liquid has been absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. (If the liquid does not gently simmer after a few minutes, increase the heat to medium-low.) Remove the pan from the heat; remove the lid and allow the steam to escape for 2 minutes.
- 3. Gently mash the potatoes and root vegetables in the saucepan with a potato masher (do not mash vigorously). Gently fold in the half-and-half and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve the mashed potatoes immediately.
Hungry for more? Chow down on these:
Mashed Potatoes and Root Vegetables Recipe © 2009 Editors at America's Test Kitchen. Photo © 2009 Carl Tremblay. All rights reserved.
Hello. Just a reminder that all our content is copyright protected. Like a photo? Please don't use it without our written permission. Like a recipe? Kindly contact the publisher listed above for permission before you post it (that's what we did) and rewrite it in your own words. That's the law, kids. And don't forget to link back to this page, where you found it. Thanks!