This Christmas cocktail is a festive combination of Campari, Prosecco, simple syrup, and fresh lemon and clementine juices. Serve with a twist of orange.
Seven lords a leaping? So the carol goes. But after partaking of this Christmas cocktail cheer, perhaps it would be more accurate to say seven lords a leaning. Before you start a leaping and a leaning for yourself, let’s reflect a moment on what exactly constitutes a Christmas cocktail, shall we? According to no one but ourselves, it seems any such libation ought to be seasonal in terms of its ingredients, and certainly splashy hues of citrus juice qualify. The tipple ought also be effervescently toe-tapping and perky rather than serenely yawn-inducing and sleepy, which rules out hot toddies and mulled wine and the like, no matter how lovely the latter may be. And it ought to have a captivating countenance, one of those dazzling numbers that turns heads and makes ordinarily predictable people unexpectedly cry out,”I’d like one of those, please!” Does this little tipple merit the moniker “Christmas cocktail?” We think so.–Renee Schettler Rossi
- Cocktail shaker
- 1/2 cup Campari
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh clementine juice (or, in a pinch, fresh orange juice)
- 1/4 cup Simple Syrup
- 1 3/4 cups Prosecco chilled
- Orange twists (optional garnish)
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the Campari, lemon juice, clementine juice, and Simple Syrup. Add the ice and shake.
- Strain the mixture, dividing it equally among 6 flutes. Top off each flute with some of the Prosecco. Garnish with a twist of orange zest, if desired.
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. We’d love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Recipe Testers’ Reviews
Originally published December 24, 2020
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. We'd love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Gorgeous color. Tastes like a lovely bubbly grapefruit juice. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Thumbs up from this Prosecco queen.