Kataifi pastry is an extruded pastry resembling shredded wheat. It isn’t as well known as phyllo (fillo) but can be found at Middle Eastern specialty stores and in many retail market freezer cases.–Vefa’s Kitchen
Kataifi Pastry and Cheese Rolls
For this Greek specialty, kataifi, spaghetti-like strands of pastry similar to phyllo dough, are wrapped around a savory cheese filling (sometimes ham or bacon) and baked until golden. Kataifi can also be made into a sweet dessert.
- 4 tablespoons butter plus extra for greasing
- 4 eggs
- 7 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated kaseri or Gruyere cheese
- 11 ounces kataifi pastry
- 4 tablespoons corn oil
- 2/3 cup (1/4 pint) milk
- 2/3 cup (1/4 pint) heavy cream
- Grease an ovenproof dish with butter and set aside.
- Lightly beat two of the eggs in a bowl, season with pepper, and stir in the cheeses.
- Tease out the kataifi pastry and divide into 20 to 25 long sections. Keep the sections covered with a damp cloth to keep them moist.
- Take one section of kataifi and pat it gently between your palms. Place 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture on it and fold it over the filling, shaping a ball. Continue until all the sections of kataifi are filled. Place them in the prepared dish, close together. Heat the 4 tablespoons butter and corn oil together and pour a teaspoon over each roll.
- At this point you can wrap and freeze the rolls or store them in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- One hour before baking, lightly beat together the milk, cream, and remaining eggs. Pour the mixture over the rolls and let them stand for 1 hour, until they have absorbed the liquid. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake the rolls for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
You can substitute 1 cup (6 ounces) finely chopped cured ham or bacon for 1 cup (4 ounces) of the cheese mixture.
Serving: 1portionCalories: 196kcal (10%)Carbohydrates: 9g (3%)Protein: 7g (14%)Fat: 15g (23%)Saturated Fat: 7g (44%)Polyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 66mg (22%)Sodium: 267mg (12%)Potassium: 57mg (2%)Fiber: 1g (4%)Sugar: 1g (1%)Vitamin A: 372IU (7%)Vitamin C: 1mg (1%)Calcium: 157mg (16%)Iron: 1mg (6%)
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. We’d love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Originally published June 08, 2009
Recipe © 2009 Vefa's Kitchen. © 2009 All rights reserved. All materials used with permission.
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. We'd love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
That sounds so good! Would love to see your take on homemade kataifi pastry.
Peggy, I’m not sure we’re up for that!
Love your site. BUT kataifi is NOT a shredded dough, it is extruded.
Francois, thank you for that. It is indeed extruded. I’ve fixed the headnote.