Yup, Cosmo shot is this is essentially a mini-me Cosmopolitan cocktail. Vodka, Cointreau, cranberry juice, and lime. You know the ones Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha made famous. Need we say more?
The Cosmopolitan can be a great drink when made properly, but when it’s half-assed there could not be a more pedestrian cocktail. This is a tribute to legendary mixologist Dale Degroff‘s version of the Cosmo, which–accept it or not–is one of the most influential drinks ever.–Andrew Bohrer
Cosmo Shot Note
Yes, this is Cosmo shot is essentially a Cosmo in a shot glass. A darn good Cosmo, mind you. Why a wee shot rather than a copious cocktail? Sometimes we’re in the mood for nothing more than a teaser, a little something to titillate, along the lines of the cocktail counterpart to the amuse-bouche.
Okay, wait—we thought we could get away with that explanation, but who are we kidding?! We’re boozers. But we’re no longer just out of college, so an entire cocktail can sometimes be something more of a commitment than we can muster most nights.
And no, we don’t care how many Cosmos Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha knock back in a single episode. And because this is no longer college, you needn’t toss back your shot. Instead, you can sensibly sip it, slowly savoring the sweetly tart booziness. Course, no one’s stopping you from upping the proportions and splashing a standard pour into a martini glass….
☞ Table of Contents
- Cocktail shaker and a shot glass
- 1/2 ounce vodka preferably citrus vodka
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau or other orange liqueur
- 1/4 ounce cranberry juice (real juice and not cranberry cocktail)
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 strip orange zest
- Toss the vodka, Cointreau or other orange liqueur, cranberry juice, and lime wedge in a cocktail shaker with some ice and shake, shake, shake. Strain the booze into a shot glass.
- If desired, take a match or a lighter to the zest and let it catch fire. Wait just a moment while the essential oils burn and then blow the flame out. Drop the zest in the shot glass and serve.
Recipe Testers’ Reviews
Don’t be fooled by the color, thinking this is one step from a Shirley Temple. This Cosmo shot is a sophisticated, tasty aperitif that delivers a kick. It’ll definitely give you a nice buzz and excite your appetite. I’d prefer a splash more lime juice in it; I did so and it worked for me. Drink up, boys and girls. Paper umbrella optional.
This Cosmo shot is easy, delicious, and pretty to gaze at in a crystal shot glass (or any lovely glass that you have). I didn’t flame the zest, so that’s another reason to try this again. It’s light, sweet and tart, and refined
Originally published February 15, 2013