These eggplant wraps are the absolute perfect hors d’oeuvre or picnic food. They can be made and assembled a day in advance and refrigerated. The wraps travel well and the eggplant will taste even better when the wraps come to room temperature. Wait until the last minute to cut them in halves or, if you like, slice them for little aram-style sandwiches for a party platter.–Maggie Foard
Mediterranean Eggplant Wraps
- Quick Glance
- 15 M
- 50 M
- Serves 4
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces chèvre
- Four 8-inch soft Mediterranean flat breads or flour tortillas
- 1 cup sliced basil leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- 2. Combine the eggplant, peppers, onion and garlic in a heavy ovenproof skillet, and toss with the oil, salt and pepper. Roast the eggplant mixture in the oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, until everything has cooked down and is highly fragrant. Let cool a bit.
- 3. Warm the chèvre for 15 seconds on low in a small bowl in the microwave to soften it.
- 4. Spread 1/4 of the warmed chèvre on each flat bread or tortilla. Spoon on some of the eggplant mixture and sprinkle on 1/4 cup basil. Roll up the wrap from one side, jelly-roll style.
- 5. At this point, cover the wraps in plastic and refrigerate until later, if need be. To serve, cut the eggplant wraps in half or slice them into appetizer size pieces.